Monday, July 4, 2011

Barbecues and Indulging

I would first of all like to say that I am very proud of myself lately with keeping my blood sugars in control. I have been keeping an eye on it and am doing better than I ever have before. I went to the endo last week and she was so excited about it that she wanted to take another A1C just to see how low it was compared to the last one, which was 13. Not good. They say that it should be lower than a 7, so that is my goal, now. 7. She decided, though, that it was too soon to take one, but if I keep this up, it will be excellent. It is always a great feeling to know that you made your doctor excited.

Today, though, I was nervous. It was the 4th of July and for me and everyone else living in the USA, it was filled with great food off the grill and a lot of fun. I went to my mother's for a little cookout and there was so much food that I got a little overwhelmed. Since I love to eat, I would hate to restrict myself, especially on the holiday with so much to eat! I took my shot of insulin and had a great time. I even gave myself a little extra after when my mom brought out the cupcakes. a few hours later I tested myself and I guess my estimates were right on the money because I was in perfect range. I'm getting good at this!

I got a little worried and depressed today, though. If the 4th of July was like this, I can't even imagine what it will be like when it comes to the holidays this winter. Especially when my specialty is making pies. I really want to be able to enjoy myself without having to worry so much about my sugars getting too high. It is just so much easier on a day-to-day, hour-to-hour basis. When it comes to feasts, though, all bets are off. How do people do it? The main course, the finger foods, the cookies, the pies.... Add some alcohol beverages into the mix and you've got yourself a messed up diabetic. Sure, it's half a year away, but it will get here before I know it and I want to be prepared. If anyone has any tips, feel free to leave a comment and share your wealth of knowledge and experience! I am ever so thankful that there aren't too many holidays in a year or else I would go crazy.

I think I did really great today and tomorrow, it is back to work and back to my normal diet.

Thanks for reading, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment